RECOVERY LOSSES FROM INJURY
VEHICLE COLLISIONS/WORKERS' COMPENSATION/RAILROAD REPRESENTATION
• Body motion inside the vehicle is accelerated more than the speed of the crash in a matter of seconds.
• Weight of the vehicles on the road range from 2,500 to 15,000 pounds. When you are hit by a vehicle, you can be injured.
Coverage for every vehicle is mandated by law, but not every driver carries adequate coverage. Minimum $25,000 policies may not pay all the bills. Do you have good underinsured coverage? Ask your agent what the additional cost is to cover you and/or your loved ones with a $100,000, $500,000, or $1,000,000 policy. You will probably find the additional expense is critical to you in the event of unexpected disabling injury.
Even though you have or will soon purchase better than minimum coverage, insurers
are prepared to defend all claims from the beginning. You should be aware that not only the other driver’s insurance company but also your own may become adversarial. They have been known to disallow medical payments, wage loss payments, property damage payments, disability recovery, etc.
You may not need an attorney if you have not been injured or if you receive a fair recovery on your own. You should be aware of the following, however, to protect against not receiving what the law provides.
List of Things to Do Immediately Following a Motor Vehicle Collision:
• Pull your vehicle out of traffic if possible
• Get names and address of witnesses if any
• Ask the driver and/or witnesses if they were texting, on the phone, otherwise distracted or why they did not see you
• Ask how fast they were going
• Take photos at the scene if possible
• Exchange insurance information
• Fill out an accident report and file as soon as possible
• You do not have to, and you should not, give a recorded statement to any insurer
In the Event You are Injured
• Seek medical attention
• Do not settle your case if you are not sure you are well
• Be aware you have 2 years in Oregon to file a lawsuit if necessary, but consult with a lawyer within a year if your
Consultation with a Lawyer
• You do not have to pay for a consultation
• A good lawyer will tell you if you don’t need legal help in your case
• You should seek help immediately if your benefits are cut-off by any involved insurer
• In Oregon, attorneys charge contingency fees, meaning they are not paid if you don’t obtain a recovery